The individual(s) desiring to start a local chapter must apply for chapter status via the “New Chapter Membership Application” (NCA) which can be found at www.texascoalitionofblackdemocrats.com under “Forms.”
Only one (1) individual is needed to start a local chapter. All TCBD members must be Democrats. All officers must be identified.
The NCA should mail the application and required dues to the TCBD, P.O. Box 2814, Odessa, TX 79760
The chapter dues are required at the time of application ($15 for each Adult member).
New chapters may be organized by geographical area, be that of a city, county, multi-county or any area approved by the body with the following stipulations:
1. No two adult chapters may coexist in one geographical area.
2. Youth chapters, which are based on school home, shall exist in the same jurisdiction of an adult chapter.
It will take approximately 2-3 weeks for the application process. The new chapter president will be notified by email when the charter is official.
Follow the application process:
1. Currently non-affiliated local TCBD chapters may apply for membership using the “Existing Chapter Membership Application” which can be found at www.texascoalitionofblackdemocrats.com under “Forms.”
2. Pay dues of $15 for each Regular or Affiliate Member of the Local Chapter to State.
3. Mail application and dues to the TCBD, P.O. Box 2814, Odessa, TX 79760.
Local chapters are required to meet once a month.
Local and state issues aligned with the TCBD purpose sets the agenda.
The purpose of this organization is to:
(a) to stimulate in Black Americans an active interest in governmental affairs;
(b) to facilitate the participation of Black Americans in the Democratic Party;
(c) to perpetuate the ideals and principles of the Democratic Party;
(d) to attract new members to the Coalition of Black Democrats;
(e) to help acquaint voters and potential voters with the issues and candidates;
(f) to promote by our efforts the highest degree of governmental response to public need;
(g) to promote and facilitate economic development as it impacts and interfaces with political participation in the Black American communities of this state.
The State will interact with local chapters via quarterly meetings, email, and website updates. There shall be an “open door policy” with the president and special advisors.
The State provides local chapters with administrative and policy guidance as well as the influence that comes with the organization as whole.
Local chapters must provide a quarterly report to the State using a format pre-determined by the State and provided to each chapter.
Yes, in order to carry the name and affiliation, local chapters are required to pay dues to the State. Dues are $15 per member.
Local Chapters have the ability to bring local issues to the State forum.
1. Adult membership dues are $30 for all chapters which will cover both the state and local dues.
2. The state and local chapter split the dues amount equally (50% and 50%).
3. Sustaining Memberships ($100) will be split $85 to the state and $15 to the local chapter.
4. Member-at-Large dues are $15 for State dues.
There shall be four (4) classes of memberships. (All membership classes are permitted to attend all meetings of the Coalition.)
1. Regular memberships are open to Black Democrats eighteen (18) years or older.
2. Associate memberships are open to non-Black Democrats eighteen (18) years or older.
3. Youth memberships are open to any Democrat under eighteen (18) or a full-time student.
4. Member-at-Large memberships are open to any Democrat eighteen (18) years or older.
All applications can be downloaded from the TCBD website at www.texascoalitionofblackdemocrats.com.
No, you may join as a Member-at-Large.
Regular members who are current in their dues and in good standing for thirty (30) days prior to an election shall be eligible to vote.
A member of the Coalition for at least twenty-four (24) calendar months and have attended at least fifty per cent (50%) of the regularly scheduled meetings during the same period of time, or be a member of any chapter’s executive board for at least twelve (12) calendar months and have attended at least fifty percent (50%) of the regularly scheduled meetings during the same period of time is eligible to hold office. The Youth Advisor must have been a member of the Coalition for at least twelve (12) calendar months. At the point the officer falls below the 50% requirement, that officer shall be dismissed of their duties unless there is a personal illness, family illness, or during bereavement of a family member.
Yes, everyone is welcome as long as member eligibility requirements are met and dues are paid.